RULES TO OBTAIN A MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNION LICENSE IN CLARK COUNTY
1. The marriage or civil union must take place in the SAME county in which the license is issued. Couples who wish to be married or unionized in Clark County must apply for their license in the Clark County Clerk’s office, 501 Archer Avenue, Marshall, Illinois between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
2. The legal age to obtain a marriage license without parental consent is 18. Consent of BOTH parents is required for applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age. No one under the age of 16 can apply for a marriage license and no one under the age of 18 can apply for a civil union license in the State of Illinois. Birth certificates are required for proof of age for applicants who are under the age of 18 and driver’s license or a State identification card for applicants who are over the age of 18.
3. Effective September 11, 1989, pre-marital blood tests are no longer required in the State of Illinois to acquire a marriage license.
4. The license becomes effective the day after it is issued and is effective for sixty (60) days.
5. The cost of a marriage/civil union license is $27.00 (Required in cash). Certified copies are $16.00 and must be requested.
6. The license must be mailed back to the County Clerk’s office by the Officiant within ten days from the date of the ceremony in the envelope provided from the County Clerk’s office.
7. The couple will need to know both of their parents full birth names, their current addresses (if still living), and the states where the parents were born.
8. If there has been a previous marriage or civil union, the couple will need to know the date, county and state of the death or divorce. If this occurrence has been less then thirty (30) days, you will need to provide appropriate documentation.